Our Curriculum Intent
at Woolavington Village Primary School
Learning, believing, achieving
At Woolavington Village Primary School the curriculum is designed to: recognise children’s prior learning, provide first hand learning experiences, allow the children to develop interpersonal skills, build resilience and become creative, critical thinkers. The ability to learn is underpinned by the teaching of basic skills, knowledge, concepts and values with a vision to prepare them for life beyond primary school.
Our approach provides children with a broad, balanced education, which develops and nurtures them into good citizens, conscious of their responsibilities to each other, their family, society and the world around them. Every child is recognised as a unique individual. We celebrate and welcome differences within our school community. Woolavington Village Primary is a place of discovery and friendship.
Our Woolavington Curriculum is divided into 6 key areas that intertwine throughout children’s primary experience:
- Let’s Communicate – English
- Problem Solve – Maths
- Wonderful World – History, Geography and Modern foreign Languages (MfL)
- Express yourself – PSHE, RSE, RE, PE
- Reach for the Stars – Art, Music, Dance and Drama
- Investigate and Evaluate – Science, Design Technology (DT) and Computing
We constantly provide enrichment opportunities to engage learning. We believe that childhood should be a happy, investigative and enquiring time in our lives, where there are no limits to curiosity and there is a thirst for new experiences and knowledge. We use our school TRUST values to promote positive attitudes to learning, which reflect the values and skills needed to promote responsibility for learning and future success.
Community involvement is an essential part of our curriculum as we celebrate local traditions, learning new skills to enable the children to take an active role in events throughout the year.
Children leave Woolavington with a sense of belonging to a tightly knit community where they have the confidence and skills to make decisions, self-evaluate, make connections and become lifelong learners.
The aim of our curriculum at Woolavington is to ensure we provide opportunities for children to develop:
- Spiritual, Moral, Social and cultural awareness
- understanding and support for fundamental British Values
- understanding and responsibility for making healthy lifestyle choices
To develop these aims fully, we provide the children with a broad range of opportunities to increase their self-esteem and self-worth, manage their feelings and develop their understanding and awareness of the British Values.
Children are encouraged to:
- have an acceptance and engagement with values of democracy
- be respectful of rules and the rule of law
- understand and respect individual liberty
- develop mutual respect for those of differing faiths and beliefs
- contribute positively to life in modern Britain
- have an awareness of extremism and managing it
- understand the importance of identifying and combatting discrimination.
Our Core Learning Skills curriculum aims to develop skills and attributes such as resilience, self-esteem, risk-management, teamwork skills and critical thinking in the context of learning.
As a school, we understand the importance of having a healthy lifestyle. Children are taught about the benefits of exercise and the importance of eating healthily. They are also taught about the importance of making sensible decisions, when it comes to food and exercise and the implications of an unhealthy lifestyle on physical and mental well being.
To discuss any aspect of our curriculum, please contact the office to arrange a call or appointment.